Thursday, January 14, 2010

memories are moments you don't get back

the first night of my summer '07 roadtrip (with the Lonehollow crew), we spent it on Mustang Island down by South Padre. we simply laid down a tarp between the two vehicles and crammed our sleeping bags together. i remember singing lullabies because i couldn't sleep, and i definitely thought everyone else was. the stars were exceptional that night--clear skies and endless space. the next morning, i woke up to the sun rising over the ocean. it was simply breathtaking. then we discovered jared had rolled over onto a sand crab in the night, crushing it underneath him. we were camped next to more than a few sand crab pits.

when i was still in high school my grammy showed up at my house about 8 'clock at night with an enormous bottle of wine under her arm. her and my mother then proceeded to drink the entire bottle. it is the only time i've ever seen my mother drunk--or the first time i saw what my grandmother would do when a situation was slipping beyond her control. my father and i followed her home, because although "she wasn't in-bree-bree-ated"...we still worried. i wish i could sit in my kitchen with my grandmother again. i wish i had known then that you don't get moments like that again.

this last week 3 year old ryland tried to play with both shoes untied. i bent down and tied them for him. when i looked up at him, without a word he simply lent forward and gave me the sweetest little-boy kiss. my heart melted a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment